Sunday, July 17, 2011

RnR: Week 1 Day 7

Photo courtesy from depositphotos.com

I decided to skip the 3 mile run today per the training schedule and devote this day as a day of complete rest. Meaning no runs, no cross training, no yoga or Pilates. Nada. Rest days are important for runners to help the body recover and recuperate.

I started getting shin splints again especially on my left shin. I noticed the shin splint re-occurring right after the 5x800 I did. Today's rest day is a much needed break. The shin splint is a sign that I have over done something and over worked myself.

I had a really bad case of shin splints last year while training for my Race to the End of Summer 10k and the HERS Keep ABreast 10k. I ran both races with shin splints. It was a stupid move and I paid for it at the end. I couldn't run without the shin screaming at me. The recovery took several months. It was very very frustrating not being able to run when you have the will for it. I don't want to go through that again. I try to listen to my body this time to avoid being injured and not being able to run at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Mrs. Skinny Jeans

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates